Rumors about Generation 2 Pokemon and the elusive Ditto have circulated since the first week of Pokemon GO. But for the first time, we actually have new information on both!
v0.45.0 brought new code to the APK that revealed new features soon to come. The Silph Road has audited the APK to see what could be learned. After a preliminary look through the v0.45 APK’s code, we can confirm the following:
1. ONE NEW MOVE HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE GAME:
- It is a quick move (as opposed to a charge/special move).
TRANSFORMnow appears both in the GAME_MASTER file with its own animation sequence (as all moves have) and the APK code itself, as the only new move addition yet since the game launched.
2. 100 NEW POKEMON ARE NOW REFERENCED IN THE GAME’S CODE
- Pokedex #152 (Chikorita) to #251 (Celebi)
- Moveset data has not appeared for the 100 new species, and a client-side update (e.g. v0.45.1) will be required for them to begin appearing in-game
3. 52 NEW POKEMON FAMILIES NOW APPEAR
- Again from Chikorita to Celebi
- Includes Ho-Oh and Lugia, etc.
4. NEW SPONSOR: GLOBE NOW APPEARS
- (This may have been added in v0.43.4, but either way was previously announced and discussed on the Road)
5. THE LOCKOUT SYSTEM
- A bunch of new code for the anti-gym-sniping (lockout) system has appeared.
- It appears to function just as described, with a new error message if you are locked out, an ‘ending millisecond’ timer for deploy lockouts, etc.
6. THE QUEST SYSTEM
- Daily quest code, including daily bonuses and a weekly bonus according to a multiplier have now appeared
7. THE ‘CONDOLENCE’ RIBBON
- (This also went live in the previous version, but we wanted to catalog it here for historical reasons.)
- Used when Niantic placed a black condolence ribbon on Thai players at the passing of the King.
A WORD ON DITTO
While it may seem Ditto is now in the game, the GAME_MASTER file does not currently include the recently added move
TRANSFORM in Ditto’s movesets. Currently, the only move Ditto knows is:
STRUGGLE. It is possible that
TRANSFORM may never officially become a Ditto ‘move’ so to speak, but will instead simply be an ‘occurrence’ that happens every time Ditto enters combat. Notably, however, the
TRANSFORM animation sequence was not only added as an animation sequence, but as a ‘move’ in the movelist in the APK code.
A WORD ON GEN 2
Presently, no moveset data has been assigned to the new species. Furthermore, the moves themselves haven’t even appeared in the code yet. This means a server and client-side change will have to occur before Gen 2 is launched. So nothing to hold your breath for, travelers. It may yet be a few more weeks or months. But Niantic has certainly been picking up momentum. At this point, it’s anyone’s guess when these major additions might find their way into the Pokemon GO universe.
It may only take a server-side update, to update Ditto’s moveset. It is our opinion that if the GAME_MASTER file is ever updated to give Ditto the new Transform move, we can almost guarantee that gelatinous beast will be findable in the game. We’ll certainly be looking!
Hopefully these efforts to boil down the update are useful for helping you know what’s happened, confirming that no new features were overlooked, and quelling or confirming rumors, travelers.
Niantic is hauling. We haven’t seen re-balances and additions come back to back this quickly in the history of the game. Can’t wait to see what their plans are on these new fronts! Something tells us big things are happening sooner than later…
– Executive Dronpes –